CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

HOUSEPLANTS WITH KIDS AND SPIDERS??!!

As a parent I try to be safe and aware of everything that is going on with my kids. Sometimes we need to be reminded of the smallest things. One of these pretty plants made it's way into my home but is definitely on the way out, thanks to my sister Jessica for paying attention. Isn't this a pretty vine? Remember my earlier post when Sydney and I potted some small plants in the kitchen one afternoon? The English Ivy plant, or also known as "California Fan" was one of those plants. My sister Jessica had just gotten one of these also. They are very pretty.
Well, Jessica called me today and let me know that I needed to check my plant. Apparently this plant has a very good chance of getting "spider mites". Also, this is a very poisonous plant to humans and animals. I had thrown away most of my plants or killed them when Sydney was a baby, but I have 3 that I have had for about 8 years. I didn't pay attention to the types when I was buying them a few weeks ago, if they were cute I got them. Bad idea.

A couple of weeks ago Rachel decided to lick a plant at Jessica's. She has never done this at home, that I am aware of, so that means that she probably has. I have put this plant outside for now and may hang it in a tree away from Rachel, we'll see. Please check all of your plants if you have indoor animals or small children, a simple google search will give you all the information you need. I am going to include some information on this particular English Ivy or "California Fan" plant. Common names - Common English Ivy
Botanical name- Hedera helix
Poisonous part- Leaves

This vine is grown both as an indoor and outdoor ornamental and it has caused poisoning in cattle, dogs, sheep, and humans. Symptoms of ingestion are difficulty in breathing, convulsions, vomiting, paralysis and coma. Dermatitis is rare but can be severe with weeping blisters which respond slowly to treatment. The berries are bitter so it's unlikely children will consume them in large quantities.

The English Ivy is a common houseplant that can be kept as an indoor or outdoor plant. Although the basic care is quite simple, they are at risk for developing spider mites, which can cause extensive damage to the plant.

Once spider mites infest an English Ivy plant, they will suck out the sap inside the plant's tissues. They will then inject toxin into the leaves, which causes them to become yellow and dry.

PLEASE CHECK ALL OF YOUR PLANTS FOR THE SAFETY OF YOUR KIDS AND ANIMALS!

No comments:

Post a Comment